Saturday, May 15, 2010

One of the Ornament Lessons

Today we were blessed with another perfect day. Everything is so beautiful and you see something new with each day. I managed to make it back to the sanctuary of my sewing room - so I could learn something new.

So I gathered up my little squares of different colors and set sail on the world of colors and cotton - a fabric that I do not get to play much with.
Well darn it - my camera does not want to play right - But this is a 2.5 x 2.5 square that I have centered on the top of the Styrofoam ball.



I used a lighter color so you could see how they lay on the first square. Then you use 5 pins to attach them

.

This is the little squares folded and I put the ornament in a cup to keep it from rolling away from me when my head is turned - sneaky little thing!

AAAAHHH - my little Mocha is keeping an eye on me in her favorite chair. For some reason she knows I do have to sit at the sewing machine with this project. LOL - That is a change indeed! :)



This is her Mama - Blondie. She has just indulged in some new dog food that she really enjoys. :)


Now that I have their approval  I can get back to my project. Now I know you have heard me say how I wanted to learn how to sew to help stretch my mind and hopefully keep it fit. This project is one of those that will do exactly that . It is a fabric puzzle and I bet if I was a quilter - like so many of you talented friends - it would go easier for me. You all already know about attaching little puzzle pieces and how to sweet - talk them into lining up right. 

j

Both ends are suppose to line up like this all the way around the middle.


Now I can see how they little pieces are suppose to line up and of course mine are a little wanky! I will attempt to take a few loose and realign them.


a

So, I decide to go back to cutting some more pieces and I start with the 2.5 inch rows. This will give me a little head start the next time.


This is my first and I still have to tackle the trim around the middle and some kind of attachment so it can be hung up. I am attempting to make these ornaments with fabric that will relate to something that  the  recipient loves in their life. 
This one -the black fabric has chickens and the yellow is the chicken wire design. Since this is my first attempt it will be mine -mine-mine. :)

Well, I better scoot off of here as we have just had a thunderstorm stop int. :)

4 comments:

  1. You are doing a great job Linda. I have always wanted to make some them for Xmas oraments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's looking good. Can't wait to see the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job on your first ornament. It'll become easier with each one. You'll see.

    ReplyDelete