Saturday, May 15, 2010

One of the Ornament Lessons

Today we were blessed with another perfect day. Everything is so beautiful and you see something new with each day. I managed to make it back to the sanctuary of my sewing room - so I could learn something new.

So I gathered up my little squares of different colors and set sail on the world of colors and cotton - a fabric that I do not get to play much with.
Well darn it - my camera does not want to play right - But this is a 2.5 x 2.5 square that I have centered on the top of the Styrofoam ball.



I used a lighter color so you could see how they lay on the first square. Then you use 5 pins to attach them

.

This is the little squares folded and I put the ornament in a cup to keep it from rolling away from me when my head is turned - sneaky little thing!

AAAAHHH - my little Mocha is keeping an eye on me in her favorite chair. For some reason she knows I do have to sit at the sewing machine with this project. LOL - That is a change indeed! :)



This is her Mama - Blondie. She has just indulged in some new dog food that she really enjoys. :)


Now that I have their approval  I can get back to my project. Now I know you have heard me say how I wanted to learn how to sew to help stretch my mind and hopefully keep it fit. This project is one of those that will do exactly that . It is a fabric puzzle and I bet if I was a quilter - like so many of you talented friends - it would go easier for me. You all already know about attaching little puzzle pieces and how to sweet - talk them into lining up right. 

j

Both ends are suppose to line up like this all the way around the middle.


Now I can see how they little pieces are suppose to line up and of course mine are a little wanky! I will attempt to take a few loose and realign them.


a

So, I decide to go back to cutting some more pieces and I start with the 2.5 inch rows. This will give me a little head start the next time.


This is my first and I still have to tackle the trim around the middle and some kind of attachment so it can be hung up. I am attempting to make these ornaments with fabric that will relate to something that  the  recipient loves in their life. 
This one -the black fabric has chickens and the yellow is the chicken wire design. Since this is my first attempt it will be mine -mine-mine. :)

Well, I better scoot off of here as we have just had a thunderstorm stop int. :)

4 comments:

  1. You are doing a great job Linda. I have always wanted to make some them for Xmas oraments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's looking good. Can't wait to see the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely ornaments!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job on your first ornament. It'll become easier with each one. You'll see.

    ReplyDelete