Saturday, December 4, 2010

Our First Snow of 2010

I had heard on the weather last night that we were suppose to get 3 to 4 inches of snow today and that it was suppose to start around noon-so - I was smart and went out and did all my critter chores and just as I was ending up , the little snowflakes started falling. It was so pretty and so graceful that it mesmerized me and I turned my face skyward and poked out my tongue and let the snow melt on my tongue-yea- there is that much KID still left in me. Snow totally amazes me-it just looks like magic. It was at that time that 3 of the young adult guys in our family pulled up to help DH with the firewood. They cut, busted and loaded and unloaded it where DH could get to the stove.They are very remarkable .One was a step-grandson , one was his cousin and one was a friend of theirs who has some brain damage from a terrible bicycle wreck .

As the day went on the snow just kept falling and I knew the boys would be so hungry. DH had wanted chili beans -but I do not have any tomatoes or tomato juice and I am almost out of chili powder -so I invented Sloppy Beans! :) I fried up the onion and the peppers and then added the deer burger and added salt and mustard and brown sugar-then added some left over pinto beans and then let them put it over toast and they all loved it and ate every speck of it. It always makes me feel good when they eat like that. Then they took off to get out of the country with this snow falling and they called us when they got to town to say they had made it safely. :)

Now that the chores are completed and the boys have been feed -I can retreat to the sewing room. This is what our pond looks like - you can barely see the dark spot.

I would like to introduce you to one of my favorite toys! It is a button hole cutter  and Lynne introduced me to it one time when we were working on button-holes. Yes, you can use a seam ripper to cut the button hole -as long as you remember to place a straight pin at the top and bottom where the button-hole is -so you won't ruin your project - but - for some reason I usually enjoy this way of accomplishing my task successfully. I am putting button - holes where the patter calls for an opening on the lounge pants to insert your elastic and the pull cord. That way I know it will not wear out as fast and holds its shape sooo much better. :)

Here is DH hooking up his scraper blade on his tractor that he loves so much. This is  just one of the things that he does to make our life easier and safer and it would be one of those things that I would not know how to go about ?? So, while he is playing outdoors - I am playing indoors. It is much safer for me in the house because I am an accident just waiting to happen. :)

 As you can see , it was getting dark and I happened to remember that one of my very dear friends would be alone tonight and it would be the First Snow that she would be living through - without her most precious Husband , who had passed away 6 months earlier from rheumatoid arthritis .So I called her just to check on her and offer moral support. She said she knew she was depressed because she did not want to do anything and she spent her time sitting listening to music . I asked if she was eating properly and she said sure- Frosted Flakes! I fussed at her over that and told her that her health would suffer from a poor diet . This is such a waste because she is a fantastic cook! One time we went to share supper with them and I got to watch her in action - she was fantastic!

Our conversation made me both happy and sad. Happy that I had listened to that little small voice -yet sad that my friend is in pain


This is what the view is right outside my front door.! Amazing, isn't it? I am so glad that my very " special to me" crab apple tree is sound asleep on this wintry evening.  


But, with all that is going on - at least you can see I am making progress on the lounge pants. This one is for one of the step-grandsons and you can tell that he LOVES playing one of the video games that they use a play guitar  to earn points. He has Always been almost brilliant when it came to computer games. I kept hoping that skill would come in handy -maybe to help him be a game tester-but some doors are just hard to find a way in ?????
Well, I am Pooped! Here it is almost 3 o'clock in the morning and I am wore out so I better go get ready for bed . So, if any of you need some snow I would be glad to share. I know Chris from DietCokeRocks would like a helping of it and I WONDERED if Micki from Irish Muses shared some of her snow with us???? :)
Love to all, LInda

2 comments:

  1. Oh I would love to get snowed in with lots of wonderful food and heat and electricity. I will pray for your friend. That is so sad. i am sure that she is just lost with what to do with herself. I would be. All we can do for her is pray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That button hole cutter looks like a tool Stew has in the garage! Can't remember what they are called.. a chisel I think, he has them in lots of different sizes. I never thought of using a pin at each end of the button hole to stop me from cutting too far! What an awesome idea... though I'm going to try the chisel too!
    OOOO that snow looks cold.... I'm going out to sit in the sun!
    I'd say "Na na na nah" ... but I'm toooooo nice. lol

    ReplyDelete