Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Not a mechanic!

I have started on a new project for my brother-in-law and  this is my sewing sanctuary. Got the computer that I work with the designs on and my beloved Brother embroidery machine.  Got the cutting finished and got it "hooped" and the design picked out. He is a Desert Storm veteran and I am always so honored when he wears something I make him. He always acts like he appreciates it and that always resonates with my heart. I was so scared when he had to go. His wife and I kept the letters flying until he came home in one piece. :)

I had started on this project and the VERY FIRST stitch - the machine locked up. GRR! I sure do know how to get things started with a bang! So, I pulled out the screwdriver and took the little panel out - only to discover that my bobbin had exploded and thread was everywhere?????  I was so glad to have my assistants to help me clear my head.

I decided to put everything back together and rewind a new bobbin and try again? Now , this time it takes off running and it puts stitches on the top , but the bobbin thread is not catching it???? Dad gum it! Why couldn't I have been born a mechanic??????????????

I did actually wait overnight because you know how it is when a project gets stressful! I had to chill out and I was hoping the machine would do the same thing. So, here I was all chilled and ready to go. LOL But???? I was lucky that I took my own advise this time because when I started to test it AGAIN , I pulled off the original project and put in a scrape piece of fabric. Turned it own and yep - it was still making loose , floppy
stitches and was a big mess. First I tried rethreading the top thread? Nope that did not fix it???? Next , I pulled out the manual - and read and read and read??? lol  In my mind I thought I had done all of that -so I decided to take the manual's advice and recheck the bobbin???? It looked right - but ?? So , I pulled the bobbin out and studied in that little hole and did not see anything wrong, so I re-read the information and the only thing that I had not done was to put my finger down ON the bobbin as I inserted it and hold it tight as I ran the bobbin thread in the case. HUMMM? Everything still looked the same to me - so I closed it up and put the test piece back in. Fired her up - AND- hey, it works perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!!   
I was determined not to make the same mistake last time -of forgetting to put the neckband on ! So, I hop right on it 

The process is going great and I leave the room to put some rice on to cook and when I return , it is half finished but it is starting to pucker the fabric in the middle of the design!  Well, shoot - I don't know what is causing it ?? I have stabilizer under it and I also put adhesive to hold it?? LOL - Humm? Maybe it will not make such a difference because they are feathers and feathers can look bumpy????? I will just sweet talk her and hope for the best????????

O Yea, my "Sewing Angle must be looking out for me today because the color used there is silver and since the shirt is gray - it looks great!
 
 I even got smart and fixed a bo-bo! When I took it off the the hoop there was a little hole that the embroidery machine had punched right in the front ! On the sewing machine is a little stitch that makes me think of a star so I kept a piece of stabilizer under the hole and used the star to darn the hole. Then to make it complete I added extra stars on top of the yellow stars and I am happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment