Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Had to have a "fix" of sewing!

Funny how just a small thing can encourage you to take bigger steps? I was moving some things in my bedroom and I ran across this very old pair of knit pants.They are no longer black and they are all tattered and very uncomfortable to wear. I had been using them to work outdoors in - but they were one of those things that it just makes you sick to see. Don't want to throw them away(too wasteful) and definitely do not want to wear them , what to do?????

I tossed them into the sewing room -on my cutting table and made myself a promise that they were not going to be moved any more ! I would find something to do with them! They must be re-purposed  into something useful!

So, I pulled out my seam ripper and started to rip the two legs apart. While I was working on this -my eyes wandered to the seam ripper and I got tickled because the little frogs are singing out my window and I wondered how many people are lucky enough to sing with the frogs ? It is one of their favorite : Rip it, rip it, rip it!

OK, I am making some progress . This knit is really heavy weight - the heaviest I have ever worked with so far. That was another reason I did not want to just throw them away -I knew there had to be a purpose for them.

Up until I got so lucky to meet Lynne - I had never seen a seam ripper like this and when I had the privilege of watching Lynne work with hers , I was mesmerized . The one of the right is a pretty silver one and you can purchase new blades to use for it. I purposed new blades and I usually have to replace one about once a year. I know that makes it so dull you can hardly cut butter - but I Hate to throw things away.

The one on the left is a cute little plastic disposable ripper . Lynne had told me about a fabric store in N.C. called Mary Jo's Cloth World  and my curiosity was killing me to go for a visit. It took almost a year and when my son and daughter-in-law wanted a little day's get-away we all loaded up and headed to N.C. It was about a 3 hours drive . One of the first things I noticed was that there was NO carts or buggies with wheels for you to put your Fabric in. Seemed that the trouble was the threads liked to wrap around the wheels and make them useless.

While I was cruising around the store - I was like a kid in a toy store.My eyes could hardly take in all the beautiful fabrics of every color and texture imaginable.It turned out that DH had found the little ripper and bought it as a surprise for me and I was very surprised. The funny part of this little ripper is that I have had it for About 4 years now, and it still cuts like a champ! That amazes me-I would love to know what is the difference in what those two little blades are made of.????

I laid the two pants legs together and decided I did not want to work with the pocket sections and my scissors are getting tired , so I pulled out this little gizmoe that DH had bought for me for Christmas. It is a tool that is designed to cut  and you can use it for a number of things you need to cut -even down to flooring or vinyl flooring.

It is a little tricky for me to handle because you have to hold in the little safety button as you pull the trigger to make it cut. But, with my arthritis - it helps me so much with any straight lines and saves my scissors or rotary cutter blades. He got the idea from a lady who works in a fabric store at Fancy Gap and I am not positive if it is in Va. or N.C. because it is so close to the state lines and I am always so excited to go for a visit.

Ok , two legs sewed together and the shape them end up being. I have a feeling some little animal (or not so little) is going to have a very nice surprise.

This is my next step - it is all the scraps of knit that I had left over from all the shirts. I put a bag of them beside my chair at night and when I watched a tv program I would clip them into very small pieces so they would move around more easily. But, I warn you - it is very hard on your wrists.
Here is the little clippings peeking out of their black pillow to be.I had to clip some more as I did not have quiet enough.

AAAAHHH - when you stand it on its head - it looks like a miniature bean bag seat! Very comfy!

But, when I lay it flat and smooth it out I decide it needs a pillow case so that I will be able to wash the crude off as need be. So, I am just going to leave it laying on the table until I can do that little project. I will be curious to see what Miss Rosie will think of the new project!  If she falls madly in love with it as she has been know to do - I might have to give it to her, but if she doesn't pay any attention to it - it will go to one of the canines in the family . Time will tell.

Good night to some and good morning to others!

No comments:

Post a Comment