Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tuesday burping???

I started out my beautiful day by starting on chores while DH was still snoozing. He hasn't been getting enough "good sleep" through the Summer. Going to bed too late and with his prostate cancer returning he is up about every two hours going to the bathroom. Makes me think of when I was pregnant and I wondered IF I would ever get to sleep an entire night again. ? I worry about him because now with Winter time facing us he will go out and cut loads of wood and that is hard work and also he has to get up through the night to go feed the stove outside.

He is working on putting a building around the stove to see if we enclose it -will the wood last longer - even if it would just last all night would be a tremendous help.

I think he must have heard the back door creak because he was right on my heels as I entered the critter building - he was feeding the stove.  So, we got all of our outdoor chores finished and proceeded to go fix oatmeal  for breakfast.

Just as we finished he said he had to go pick up an electric furnace for our youngest son -the one that is expecting the baby within the next 6 weeks. I was so tickled that he had done this because we worry about them with no real heat - just those little bathroom heaters and their kitchen stove.  We all called her daddy and he said he would come down tomorrow to see what he needed to hook it up. He worked installing furnaces before his Crones Disease kinda took over his life and he is a very smart man  and knows how to do things right. I am already dieing to see IF it will affect their heat bill??? Everybody we spoke to told us that the furnace will be more efficient than little heaters and the oven. 

So, when we got home and ate our beans and cornbread for supper . Then I did some laundry and also traded out some of my summer shirts for a couple of long sleeve shirts and ran around finishing evening chores. When I came into the sewing room I had laid a pair of DH's work at home pants in here to work on where they had ripped. I decided to put a patch on the inside and then kinda satin stitch through the hole. I was glad that I used the patch-it was a little piece of denim that I had saved and it worked great. One place I had sewed before  and the fabric is getting thin in places. Let's just say that he really knows how to use something up! LOL

I looked at the calendar and realized that Meagan's baby shower is getting close - shoot - I can't remember if it is this coming Saturday or the next Saturday. Doesn't seem to matter - either one will be here before I even realize it. :)

I have the blankets hanging up trying to keep critter fur off of them . I pulled the little pieces of baby fabric out to see how much I have to work with??? Hummmm?? Not enough for another blanket but maybe enough for some bibs and some burp clothes?

I remember that Dena from Threads of Fabric had posted a pattern for a burp cloth that she had made and used . I had actually saved it and knew where it was! Yea. She gives you the dimensions and advice also. Of course she offered that flannel does not soak up liquids very efficiently : (  . I did have one piece of terry cloth which she recommended -but this has the baby theme , but it is not soft and absorbent like I was hoping - it is a little bit stiff???? But, it is all I have so I will just check it out???

I ended up making two beginner projects. The first one I put right sides together and sewed around leaving a hole to pull  it through and then topstitch it??? The second one I used the serger and some pretty thread. I am not sure if  I like them though - they do not look pretty like the ones that Dena had put a binding around hers and cute embroidery designs on. We all know I love embroidery -so maybe that is the clue that mine is missing? Plus, I just do not like this "stiff" terry cloth- I had just taken it for granted the day I purchased it that it would be "baby soft" ??????Live and learn. :)

It has been cold and windy today. It was in the fortys , which would not have felt so bad if that wind had not be blowing right through you.I did get one more flower pulled in this afternoon. :)

1 comment: