Saturday, October 9, 2010

Crabapple Jelly Day

     You know how it is- our days just have too much of "things to do" and too little of R &R??? It started out nice - DH and I are attempting to learn how to use our new TV service. Everything is so complicated -I know they call it progress and I know it can be confusing and at the same time I do know that it is a good thing to "Challenge " our brains. I have decided if we can learn ONE new thing a day - then maybe we will figure this lesson out. :)


     Then DH called our youngest son and asked him If Meagan's dad had came down to install that electric furnace that DH had bought to keep them and the baby warm this Winter -instead of worrying about them all the time - But- no , he had not come down and he would not even answer his phone????


    So, DH took off to attempt to do it himself with the help of one of Emmett and Meagan's friends who has been right there for them since Emmett's back went out. James is a real trooper and we all really appreciate him. Since we do not usually have money to pay him for what he is worth - him and DH usually trade out with car parts. :)


     Since he took off I went out and plucked an ice cream bucket of the crab-apples .Crab-apple jelly is my favorite. DH had brought down the scale that I used to use when I was milking the goats and on test. Now, he uses it to measure out venison when he wraps it and freezes it.  I needed to know  how much 3 pounds would be so I could remember how to gauge it.




     Next I took them in the house and did weigh them out for 3 pounds -which looked about 3/4 of the bucket. Then I put them in the sink and gave them a bath. Next I plucked off the stems and cut them in half. It is not hard -just tedious to handle all of those little tiny apples. :)


     You put the pieces into your kettle and add 3 cups of water -which is not much water at all. Bring to a boil on high and reduce the heat and simmer 20 minutes, covered -until the apples are soft. Strain fruit and measure . You should have about 6 cups of juice. Cook the juice in batches of 3-4 cups  at a time. Boil the juice rapidly for about 5 minutes. Then add 3/4 cup of sugar for each cup of juice,and boil about 5 minutes more. You can either test the jelly - place a small amount of jelly in a spoon, cool sightly and let it drop back into the kettle from the side of the spoon, 1 on either side. When the 2 drops come together and fall as 1, it is the sheeting stage  (220 degrees F on a jelly thermometer. Remove from heat and put into hot, sterilized jars and seal immediately. Makes about 5 Half-Pints. 




Here is what the juice looks like now. This Always amazes me how you take little browny - red apples and it will turn into something so beautiful and sooo yummy. :)


Utt - O - the light has stolen the jelly's thunder . By tomorrow and in a natural day light they will be the prettest red I have ever seen. 


I did get this recipe from http://www.RecipeCottage.com/preserving /crabapple-jelly 03.html


The weather here today was absolutely Beautiful and the smell of Fall was in the air. It truly was breath-taking.


Hope each of you has had a perfect day to. :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks like so much fun. I have some crab apple trees but don't have access to them at the moment. How do you know when the apples are ready to pick? Did you use a food mill to get all the seeds and skin separated? It looks gorgeous. Maybe next year I can make some. It is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had crab apple jelly! It sure looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also never had crab apple jelly, but it looks yummy!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete