Thursday, October 14, 2010

Birdbrain Day

Do you remember my awesome plans of last night? Well, now we know for sure that the best laid plans - OFTEN go astray! At least with me it seems.

This morning I went out to start the morning chores , starting with the fantail pigeons and my heart fell through my feet. There had been murder in the pigeon lot - two of my beloved "feather-babies" lay slain on the floor with almost all of the meat eaten away. Times like that I just want to stick my head in the dirt -hoping that would roll back time before the deed had been done. :-(  I called DH out to see what he thought had happened. We both had different opinions -he said a opossum   and I am betting a mink , although we have been hit with both before. I believe a mink because they travel up our creek not far from the lake - and - the wire on the lot is a chain link fence and you need to be kinda small to sneak in that way.  So, I have drug the live trap out and am going to set it tonight and see what happens. If another of my babies gets murdered I will just have to load all of them up in a small cage and carry them all somewhere safe for the night. Best laid plans!

As I moved around the building - Miss Danny is following me and she is such a riot! She spreads her wings out wide and blows her chest feathers out to make her look bigger . But when she raises her wings and wobbles along chasing the other chickens or even the Dogs! She makes me think of a little old lady holding her skirts up out of the way so she will not get them dirty! The guinea has taught her that it is prefect sense to chase any chicken you can find in the yard. LOL  I ended up thinking that is not such a bad thought - if they are out of the yard - they are out of my flower bed - or what is left of my flower bed! LOL

Of course -Mr. Tommy had to have a look to see what all the excitement was about. The last two days he has learned to puff himself up to a big size and then dare you to go anywhere until you feed him! Talk about bossy ! Worse than some humans!

Of course now my furbabies decide to tag along and see what happens. I did get all the chores finished and a lot of the house things straightened and headed for the sewing room , like a race horse breaking from the box! I sorted out the pieces of the pants that I had cut out yesterday and then laid them out as they were suppose to be sewn. I had the first two pieces together and sewn about 12 inches with the serger and BROKEN needle thread! I rethread  and start once again - Broken needle thread. Well, you know that three times charm - I loaded up again and broken needle thread and just as I am about to have steam come out my ears - the phone rings. It is Alpine Sewing in Roanoke and they have my embroidery machine fixed . I was debating should I call DH (he is in the back hunting) - or - should I just wait until tomorrow? As I am pondering what to do I threaded up the needle one last time - and BROKEN NEEDLE THREAD - so I guess you already know what my decision is!

I called and asked him if he was having any luck and he said , no - but he knew I wanted something because I do not usually bother him when he is hunting. I told him about the machine and he said he would be right in. I had decided that I would take my camera -hoping to get a picture of the fall colors . Roanoke is a hour drive and as we got on our way - there was very little color - yet. They are warmer than us and I guess it just had not been cold enough yet to change the colors. :-(

They are really nice at Alpine and they always have sooooo many beautiful examples of things going on! I usually have to keep my blinders on my eyes. The good news is now my Bernina embroidery machine is now fixed and DH got home in time to do a little more hunting.  But -this is just the way it seems to go for me and my Best Laid Plans! :)  But ! I do keep trying ! :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh Linda you do have a lot of critters to feed and look after,both feathered ones and fur ones.
    Hope you catch that nasty mink/possum.
    Are Miss Danny and Mr Tommy pets or getting ready for Thanksgiving??
    What is it they say, Best laid plans etc.
    Better luck tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...I am sorry to hear about your birds. That really has to be so upsetting to walk in and find that. I hope you catch the culprit and move him or her to another area far away from your beautiful birds. The parakeets are lovely, too. How do they survive the winter?

    Glad you got your machine back. That will put a smile back on your face!

    ReplyDelete