Friday, September 16, 2011

I'm am so sorry & Cowboy says HI!

But last night was not my fault - I was heading toward the computer to blog and all of a sudden it was pitch dark. Pitch dark - I could not see my hand in front of my face. I was so Miffed! I wanted to spend some "quality-time" with my blog family. So, I gave up and went to bed, with no heat and it was 44 this morning when I got up-Burrrr!

I hate this time of year because DH just hates to fire up the wood stove and I just Hate to be cold. But at least   he has started a fire tonight. : ) I am so tired I can barely move- my fibromyalgia Hates to be cold too. It just sucks the life out of me and it takes quiet a spell to regroup. It's miserable.

Thursday was when we met DH's sister and we took them to turn their new car in for some odds and ends of work and they had promised them a wash job and full tank of gas. I think their help forgot there was a front end of a car because it was covered in "bug-juice" that they had neglected to get. Then we took them to run some errands while they worked on the car. By the time we got home I was so exhausted that I locked up the chickens and went to bed.

I have run across a wonderful blog called Commonsense Homesteading and she inspired me with all of her hard work growing and processing her own food. She inspired me so much that we picked up half a bushel of peaches and I canned them. I had forgotten how beautiful home canned foods are.

Then we went to pick up my prescriptions and to look at some gas stoves-? Something that we might be able to use when our electricity goes off and at least keep warm, as our electricity is not that dependable-we lose it a couple of times a year , at least and that is miserable. I am anxious to get back to my Christmas gifts as time is really flying now. Somehow I will have to mix things up as I need to dig the sweet potatoes and DH needs to dig the regular potatoes.He helped me dig a small pot full of white sweet potatoes this afternoon  as the ground was so hard I almost could not make a dent in it. We eventually found enough for one mess and I was tickled because this is the first year I have ever tasted White Sweet Potatoes and they were really good! I shredded them and plopped them in a skillet with a dash of canola oil and they cooked while I cut some fresh chard into slivers ,washed it , boiled it for a minute and then added the oil and a dressing of soy sauce-salt- red wine vinegar and some agave  and it was really good. Then DH fixed some scrambled eggs and we had a "scrambled- supper" ! LOL  Not like anything I have ever had , but at least it filled my tummy and I believe it was good for us.

I did get to take my walk this afternoon as dark was descending on me and it matched my dark mood of missing sweet Dixie -darn it- I just wish she had not had to go. But, you know how it is with cancer , be it human or four-legged. I HATE cancer with a purple passion!
Well, let me get down to the vinegar tips :

Vinegar contains a treasure trove of complex carbohydrates as well as a good dose of that mysterious stuff called "dietary fiber." Both complex carbohydrates and dietary fiber have been recommended by the U.S. Surgeon general to help build resistance to cancer.

About fibers...yes there are different kinds of fibers. Some are water soluble and some are not. A water soluble fiber soaks up water (adding bulk) but also has the power to interact with the body. insoluble fibers soak up water (adding bulk) but do not interact with the body in the same complex way soluble fibers do.

When vinegar is made from fresh , natural apples it contains a healthy dose of pectin. Pectin is a soluble fiber. It dissolves in water, making it very available for the body to use. In addition to soaking up water, it slows down the absorption of food and liquid in the intestines. Therefore it stays in the body longer than an insoluble fiber.

An insoluble fiber, such as wheat bran rushes through the system. Particularly , it rushes through the intestines. This gives it laxative properties. Wheat bran my also produce large amounts of gas.( O NO - that is why I am called , An Old Fart!  : ) Sorry , couldn't help myself!)

as pectin (apple cider vinegar fiber)works its slow, gentle way through the digestive system it binds to cholesterol. Then pectin pulls the cholesterol which is bound to it out of the body. Less cholesterol in the body makes for a reduced risk of cardiovascular problems, such as hear attacks and strokes.

I will say good-night and best wishes to all.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the information on the Common Sense Homesteading blog. She sure has a wealth of information on her blog. I just spent over 45 minutes browsing and will be a regular follower... Well, as much as my schedule will allow. Thanks Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cowboy!!!

    I am tired just reading your post.
    Hope you are warm now.

    ReplyDelete