Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tired, Tired in both mind and body

It was another lovely day here in Va. I bought a pack of spinach today that I need to get out there and plant. The garden center was crammed packed - I think everybody has Spring Fever (and maybe a little Summer fever too)

I have not sewn at all today because of the doctor appointment that DH had and it was rotten news. Three years ago they found prostate cancer and treated it vigorously and they said they had "got it"? He was so pleased . But, today the doctor said that you can never "cure " prostate cancer - you can only attempt to "control" it?

He told him about  options - one was a pellet in his arm vein that would be good for a year and slowly release the medicine. But, when he looked at DH's arms they are too badly scared from the burns he received back in 1972. It leaves the flesh very thick - so that would not work. There was a shot that he could take every 4 months - but they have to give that one in the stomach - so that was out the door. So that left the one where he takes shots every 3 months - so that was the one he chose.

When you get news like this -it feels like all the air was sucked out of your body. You don't want to believe it -you know-because the person still looks physically fine. But he has been fighting one battle after another -it seems like all his life, and what affects your mate - affects you too.


So ladies -tell your husbands, brothers, uncles  or fathers about prostate cancer. They say that most men in later life do have prostate cancer-but since it is considered a slow growing cancer that a lot of them die from something else and didn't even know it unless an autopsy finds it.

Warn them all that it kinda starts with extra trips to the bathroom at night - and - or - pain upon urination. Of course increased trips can mean an enlarged prostate -but at least they can work with that? It was mostly the pain with us because it just increased and we thought it was a kidney infection because it was also a weak stream or stop and start. We were really shocked to learn of prostate cancer and how deadly it can be. I don't think either of us had even heard of prostate cancer or the symptoms - up to that point , and a lesson that I wish we did not have to learn?

I send each of you love
hugs - Linda

2 comments:

  1. So sorry he got that sort of news... but at least they can 'control' it?
    Ugggg, I hate injections.
    My Dr wanted me to have a blood test a few weeks ago... I still havn't done it... and I told him he was a fool to think I would! lol
    Stew has a 'stop/start' stream sometimes... and I have told him to go get it checked out... but he hasn't yet.
    What is it with men... they seem to be so prudish when it comes to their 'bits' being checked out!

    I hope your man is going to be OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so sorry to hear that...

    You have tot be strong for him...

    ReplyDelete