Saturday, July 11, 2009

A Little Piece of History?



Look what I ran across today , hidden in a drawer? I know it looks like a wore out apron - but to me this is a magic apron and it is 51 years old! Can you guys remember when you were 8 years old? I can remember this and still feel so much pride and Amazement. I had joined the Brownies and we were making aprons as a project. I could feel the magic ripple through my being as the anticipation of this project filled me with excitement. I wish I could remember the leaders name so I could tell her today how much I appreciated her . She had selected the fabric for us and laid it out. It has selvage edges on the sides so we did not have to sew that. The reason it was magic to me is because we sewed the ribbon to each end of the band and then threaded it back through the casing and when you pull on the white ribbon it would move in like an accordian, then you would grab each end of the band and pull and it would expand back out as wide as the piece of fabric was. We hand sewed the casing and the hem and she topstitched the band. I look at those little hand stitches and am amazed as I remember holding my breath and trying to take as small a stitch as I could so it would almost not be seen on the other side. Another amazing thing to me is that I have EXPANDED a lot in 51 years and yet it still fits me because of this adjustment! The reason I do not remember her name is that I was only allowed into a very few of the meetings because I could not come up with the .20 cents that was required for the dues. I ended up with this apron and ONE SLEEVE of a sweather where she had started to teach us to knit. I still wish I could have finished that project. I guess she will never know how much she impacted my life, but I still send her wishes of love for the effort she put into a troop of little girls.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. TG they didn't have us make aprons, I'd have NEVER received a badge. Love the apron, what a lovely memory for you. TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - funny the memories we contain, isn't it??

    ReplyDelete