Friday, July 10, 2009

Inspiration



I was now learning something new each day and that was one of my Reasons for wanting to learn to sew - I was so scared of some form of dementia and I had read that learning new things constantly challenges your mind - AND- to me sewing was like a puzzle . I was never good at puzzles my whole life and yet here I was tackling some of the biggest puzzles in my lifetime??? I was beginning to think that the "crochet world " had spoiled me - everywhere you look in the world of crochet there are places to find inspiration. I had discovered forums online and there were a million patters , there were crochet magazines of all styles and I had my secret stash of 30 years with patterns of things I had created, plus now you had yarns of all different textures . It was a blast - but with crochet , my shoulder had given up the ghost. I had discovered that I loved to create items for people that they could use and enjoy - so how was I going to pull that off? There were a few magazines, but they talked the lingo way over my head , plus there were no articles about items you could make that people could actually use and be practical. My first thoughts were to just go in a store and LOOK at all the things that others purchase and what they use on a daily basis? I scoured the internet and one of the sites I discovered was called: http://sewing.about.com/od/homedecprojects/ss/cupidflag.htm and the lady who writes for it is named Debbie Colgrove and she is such a nice lady. I wrote to her and she answered me back - here again I almost fell out of my chair! Sewing people were REALLY nice. She had this project for a flag and of course I fell in love. I had always wanted a flag of my own to wave in the breeze at home , so I made a copy of the flag and took it to Lynne and asked her how hard it would be to pull it off. She took me under her wing and she had some beautiful flag fabric and away we went. With her guidance I came out with a beautiful red flag with white hearts on it for Valentines. Then I was inspired and I created twomore of my own designs, one with birds and one with a butterfly. The birds I gave to a friend who lived in a college town and she loved to feed the birds- that made her happy and me happy and my butterfly one I have wore out watching it flap in the breeze - lol.

3 comments:

  1. Very, very pretty creations. TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never have thought of making a flag for just me! Huh, have to give that some thought now, what kind of flag would I like? Mind you it would be torn away today the wind is so strong. Yours are just lovely.
    Big hugs lizzie
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much , my dear friends. Lizzie - it really wasn't the wind that did mine in - it was the small tree underneath it that beat it to death. lol

    Flags are fun - they can be such a unique representation of something you love. We didn't used to see pretty things like that at the average homes when I was little - so that is one thing I do like about now - we are free to experiment.

    Marydon - it would be nice to have one to showcase your business.

    ReplyDelete