Friday, July 10, 2009

A Business Flag

Remember when I had mentioned my friend , Harley - the shoe cobbler who is deaf from birth? I decided to surprise him because he loves surprises - so I designed this flag to display at the front of his cobbler shop . He was overwhelmed with surprise and was SO pleased that he would not put the flag outdoors, he hung it in the picture window of his shop. Harley was one of the kindest, most hard working gentlemen I had ever met. Here he was 82 years of age and still going to his shoe shop every morning to greet his customers and he lived in a busy college town of Blacksburg , Va. where the college of Virginia Tech is located. He was so happy. But then one day - doom descended on this sweet, kind man's life. He got a note from his landlord telling him that he was being kicked out - so the phone company - Verizon could have his small space. After spending his entire life - taking care of the shoes of his community - he was literally a piece of history - just being tossed in the garbage. The man cried like a baby and it almost BROKE my heart. Here it is a year later and Harley is a broken man - if it were not for his dog, I really do not think he would still be with us. He has lost his life purpose and he does not laugh and smile like he used to. When so many people are always trying to get out of work - all Harley wanted to do was still go to his "shoe shop" and have a purpose. Sometimes big business can be so cruel.

3 comments:

  1. What's a sweet story of Harley. You didn't say where he is living now? Your banner is so cute. You are such a darling to made that for him...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandfather was a cobbler in Holland, he made and repaired shoes his whole life. I only visited him twice in Holland but I certainly remember the leather smell of his shop...my Mom also took movies of me when I was a little girl, sitting on his lap helping him fix some shoes...sigh..good memories.
    Thank you sharing this story about Harley, what a terrible thing that was done to him. I really feel that someday our society is going to regret not having the small shops with their personal service and care around anymore.
    Kudos to you for making the wonderful flag and "supporting" Harley.
    Hugs2u!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your comments:
    Notjustnat- Harley is still alive , if you can call it that . He is a shadow of the man he used to be and he lives with his sister who turned 89 this year and she takes care of him. He doesn't laugh or smile like he used to and it just breaks my heart to see his life purpose taken away from him.
    Tam - I had never met a cobbler before I met Harley - I did not know they really existed for real? LOL I think you have a very special memory of your Grandfather - you mentioned the leather smell. Isn't that amazing how smells can influence our memories so much. I have ALWAYS been awed by Holland and the old stories of the "wooden shoes" and the tulips! ~smile~

    ReplyDelete