Saturday, August 15, 2009

Another Granny Friend and a recipe


This is another one of my dear buddies . I rescued her from the dog pound in 1997. I was there when they brought her in and she was just a little skeleton. I feel madly in love with her and asked for my name to be put on her as soon as she could leave. They did not call me but I was waiting on their steps the day they said .She was a "city dog" but she turned into a "country dog". I named her Lassie because I always wanted a Lassie . Her only regret is that she is not smaller because she tried so hard to be a "lap-puppy" and she just does not fit, plus she loves to lay in the kitchen while I am trying to cook and I do not want to step on her. She is like us humans and she has trouble with arthritis now. But she is one of the "Queen Bees" at our house.

I tried a new recipe today and if any of you like cabbage - since it is garden season - you might really like this:

King Cabbage:

Thick slices of cabbage , crowned with onions and melted cheese, make this a "king" of a vegetable dish. 4 servings

1 small cabbage (3/4 pound) sliced 1/2 inch thick
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 medium onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese (or lowfat Swiss or Muenster, if you prefer) (1/2 cup)

Preheat oven to 350degrees
Lightly oil an 8-inch square baking dish or spray with a nonstick cooking spray.
P;ace cabbage slices in bottom of prepared pan.
Sprinkle evenly with half of the sugar and half of the caraway seeds.
Place onion slices over cabbage. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and caraway seeds and teh salt and pepper.
Cover and bake 1 hour.
Uncover, sprinkle with cheese and return to oven for 5 minutes to melt cheese.

Each serving provides: 82 calories

It is from a book called Lean and Luscious by Bobbie Hinman

Even a sewing granny has to eat - especially since I purchased a Long piece of knit fabric and thought I would be smart and laid my pattern out to allowed myself 2 inches to shrink- then I cut it so it would be easier for me to wash and handle. BUT - when I pulled it out of the dryer and went to iron it - it had shrunk up WAY smaller than My project I had in mind!!!!!!!!!!! Why is it when I try to be so smart - I end up so dumb????????????? lol O Well, I have decided that my sewing angel wanted me to make 4 different projects than the 4 that I had in mind and I CERTAINLY will not cut the long piece that I have left - I put the entire length into the washer and dryer tonight and will just have to fight with it! ~smile~

1 comment:

  1. I had a dog exactly like yours...She is a sweetie pie and so lucky to have you!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete