Saturday, January 8, 2011

Have I Got A Surprise For You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you still remember when I was so upset about something killing my pigeons?????????? WELL::::???????

Here is the little "murdering predator"!  On a night that my main worry is the 15 degrees right now with wind whipping  and it is suppose to go on down to -15 with those winds. DH had made his trip up to feed the woodstove  and he said he heard something clicking .

So I wrapped a quilt around me and followed him out doors and up our little walk way and then looked up to where he was shining the flashlight and this is what we saw! Isn't he just so cool!

AAAHHHH - this one is better - just look at those little Gold eyes. He has the same eyes as our black cat and she always looks angry  - like he looks angry at being discovered right out at the back door. DH said that he should kill him. Of course I begged so pitifully to save his life.

He certainly does not look like he appreciates my efforts! But , I do so love owls!  I snapped these pictures and ran in to see If they turned out to where we could see him.

I told DH to give me a little while and then I will go out and grab up the pigeons and Mr. Owl will have to go search for his supper in another place. I did not realize it was such a little owl and now I understand how he could just walk through that chain link fence -then I could not figure how something could get up on the roosts to get a meal, but of course now I see - he just flew up to help himself. If he was anything like a hawk that had come to the yard one day while I had my silkie chickens out on the grass in a dog crate turned upside down. That way they had fresh grass to munch on. We pulled up in the yard and all I could see was white feathers. We went closer and there was a beautiful big hawk standing beside the crate with his foot stuck through the metal and in his claws was one of my favorite silkies. I just wanted to cry - but for some reason -these domesticated birds seem to not see these guys as something to fear because they are just another bird and they will let them just walk right up to them - and get their little heads bit off! :(

I was so excited , I just had to share it with you so we can now settle the mystery of the pigeion killer for the past year. I now know how to fix it , but it will sure have to be  warmer weather than what is outside now! :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I loved seeing the pictures of this owl. I have never saw one close up like that. I am glad you found the problem (or should I say the killer). It is suppose to be down to 17 here tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! He looks .... cross at having a camera shoved in his face! I think you should just make sure he can't get to your pigeons!

    ReplyDelete