Sunday, January 23, 2011

Busy, Busy Day

What a busy day. It started out nice because I got my chores all finished the very first thing this morning and thank goodness I Did that !

Just when I started to figure out what this day would be all about the stepgrandson and two of his friends called to tell DH that they were coming to cut firewood, so DH was very tickled to have some help. I was tickled to have everyone outdoors and headed to the woods. Finally I could clean the living room! Yea!  I cannot clean when DH plants himself in front of the tv. :)

I got all the covers on the furniture in the wash . They really needed that between the dog hairs and the doggie footprints. Then I ran the vacuum and then last of all I ran the steam cleaner and finally I could see our floors -once again. Then I ran a second run of clothes and I put the covers back on the furniture.

I knew these young fellows would be hungry when they came out of the woods so I started to try to figure out how to feed them.I already had a pack of deer venison laid out to thaw so I decided to go with Burger Soup and I had Just Enough homemade bread to fix everybody a peanutbutter sandwich to go with it. Just as I had it all ready -here they came through the door-talk about timing being everything! They tore into that pot of soup and devoured it. These particular young fellows are out on their own and they do not get very much home-cooking so that is why they enjoyed it so much. After they finished and were just visiting the James  fell asleep with his cup of tea in his hands. :) And he managed to keep control of it until he awakened. Very impressive! I hated to see him so tired but he just has too many irons in the fire. He is always on the run taking somebody -somewhere. That was why I was determined to at least feed them as I do not have money to give them-even just to buy their gas. Maybe a good meal is a decent pay when you just live off of "junkfood"?

Jimmy is another one -he is an extremely hard worker. He also lives with a brain injury from a horrific  bicycle wreck. He ended up on a straight up and down hill and ended up face first into a brick building. I don't think that anyone thought he would survive. He was telling me about it today. Not much he can remember except for them picking him up in a helicopter and rushing him off. He wondered  why it was never investigated because someone told him that they thought a car had hit him and throwed him into the building. He has worked hard to get him body working  . He lives with really bad "ticks" and one  of his fingers is drawed .But he has a wonderful sweet spirit  and it really hurts me to see the challenges that he faces.

I should be used to these "miracles of the human spirit" because of living with my DH , who was so severly burned 72 percent of his body 2nd and 3rd degree burns. He lost both of his ears and his body is covered in the scares, plus his hand is drawn because at that time they had never had any body be burned so severly that had actually lived through it . Now they know to place balls in the palm of hands when someone is burnt like that so that their fingers will not draw up and be unusable. They tried putting metalpins in his fingers to stretch them open , but it did not have good results. Adding to his facial scars and little kids have always followed him staring and breaking my heart. So, I can be one to tell you that the 'spirit of the human being " is quiet an amazing thing! You never know how you will act until something is staring you in the face.

As the kids were leaving I pulled out that pair of slacks that I had completed that were too large and I ripped that boogie all apart. It took me about two hours -but I finally 'unsewed' her! My mind thinks that I really want these pants for me-plus - this is a different pattern than what I have used before and it has a funny little "quirk" when it came to fixing the pockets? I thought it had me whipped to start with-but I was really pleased with myself to actually do a good job with it!

And I might as well add that I was pretty pleased with myself with ripping all of that project loose and not cutting the fabric ONE TIME! For me that is an exceptional record! No rips or cuts -Yea!

After all of that I had plenty of dishes to work on -trying to make some sense of my little kitchen! For a treat for just us two I had a small can of peaches and I made a peach cobbler that makes its own crust. It is really good so I have included the recipe:
1 large can (29) ounces sliced peaches in syrup
1 small can (15) ounces "           "          "    "
(I did not have two cans - I only had the large can.)

1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon cornstarch.
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
6tablespoons melted butter, divided
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons sugar mixed with 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Drain peaches, reserving syrup in a measuring cup.
If you don't have 1 cup of syrup, add water to make 1 cup. Set aside. Toss peaches with spices. Combine 3/4 cup of the syrup with the cornstarch. Stir into peaches. Arrange peaches in an 11 x 7 baking dish. Into a bowl, sift the sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in the beaten egg, 1/4 cup of the reserved syrup, 1/4 of milk, and 4 tablespoons of of the melted butter. Spoon the batter evenly over the peaches. Drizzzle with remaining butter -then sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar.

Bake in a preheated 350degree oven for about 35 to 45 minutes, until top is nicely browned. Even if it were not wonderful - the wonderful scent wafting through the kitchen is worth the effort. I kept wishing I had some ice cream to go on top . :)  It certainly does not taste like an old timey peach pie with home-made crust-but - considering how little work it is -it is still a neat treat.

O good golly - look at the time ! One am in the morning! I certainly meant to make it to bed at a reasonable time -but plans have eluded me once again.

One nice thing was our oldest son called his Dad this morning and after they had talked I asked him if  he could help show some light on what else I could try to fix DH's computer. I told him that we had switched harddrives, but the problem was still the same thing with this Linux system. You could get it to load , but then it would shut its self right straight down. We chatted for a few minutes and then he offered to take a look at it if I would send it with the kids after they finished the wood. After all the fights that computer and I have had this past week - I was more than thrilled to take him up on his offer. He has not had any school training with computers -but after he got his first one -he has been completely self-taught and so far -(?) he has not had a computer defeat him - SO I am HOPING DH's will not be the first one- unless it is something that is unfixable.

I hope each of you has had a wonderful day and thank you for visiting with me.
love to all! :)

2 comments:

  1. OOO that peach dessert sounds just lovely, I will be trying that for sure.
    I hope you get those pants made for yourself without having to 'reverse stitch' them again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great day, and that recipe must be so yummy. I can't have it, but mmmmmm good!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete