Wednesday, November 1, 2017

This Is My Dilemma


Yesterday the chimney stopped up and the smoke was coming back in the house. So, today when I got home from the doctor I drug the heavy ladder over to the chimney and worked to get it up in the air and level. I am scared to death of heights so I Prayed a lot -telling God I could do this. I took a brick up with me tied to a long cord and a screwdriver for the cap. I even carried a flashlight up with me and managed to let it slip out of my pocket on my jacket and going flying down off of the roof. ( SO VERY GRATEFUL it was not me !) I finally got 3 of the screws out of the cap and twisted it around so I could drop the brick down many, many times breaking up the creosote . There was still a lot of the sticky stuff clinging to the inside of the chimney but I knew i could not get the monster brush down and back up so I was pretty happy with my result. I left the cap off so I can see IF that might be helping the chimney to stop up so fast???? I came in and cleaned the pipe inside the house and cleaned out the ashes and then started a small fire to see if smoke was going to come back in the house and it looked good. I was happy to have pulled it off and not got killed doing it?

Well, the story gets better- I left the ladder there as it is SO DARN heavy I thought I would just leave it there for 3 weeks , which is the time is has taken to stop up again? (to see if leaving that cap off helps)  Well????? Crystal popped through the door and asked if I have someone on fast dial to unstop the chimney?? I told her no - that I had already cleaned it out. SHE had come home and climbed the ladder and took the monster brush and got it stuck in the chimney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Needless to say I was shocked. So she called our sweetest of neighbors and he comes down and brings help and two men get it unstuck and give the chimney a good rub down! Now it really is clean.  Bill Burton is a real hero in my eyes and I just adore him. He is the one who pushes the snow for me in the driveway in the Winter. He is the one who was on the rescue squad and cut my youngest son out of a car wreck when his wife lost control and hit a tree . He is just always helping anybody.  He gave me a hug and it took all my will power not to break down and ball. 

He has land in front of me-a small mountain . I asked him if he had noticed a feed sac half way up the mountain and told him it was my trash bag and I just saw it today when I went out to the doctor. I thought the trash men had picked it up -but a bear had picked it up and it is halfway up his mountain.????? Hum???  Don't know IF I will tackle that or not????


1 comment:

  1. Oh Linda! What a chance you took climbing that ladder, but like you said, you prayed~ Bless your sweet dear neighbor for helping you in such a practical way!!!!!! Wow~

    ReplyDelete