Monday, November 27, 2017

A Steady Day


The day just rolled steadily along. I woke up pretty early considering I get up about every 3 hours through the night to put in firewood. I took my vitamins and filled the stove and fed the fish and the birds in the house and cleaned their cages. The one in the sewing room I had to clean out the seeds from the floor and carry outside to throw in the chicken lot for them to sort through and then fill up the bottle to take back in. While I was out there I fed the donkey and ended up making a run through all the chickens outdoors which takes an hour, when I Hustle.

I hurried back in and then wrapped some presents and went to sewing on some caps, when Crystal arrived on her day off and we had a cup of coffee. I asked her to move the wood truck down to the pile I had cut near her greenhouse where she was working on a fence. It took me about an hour and a half to move the wood down the hill to the rest of the pile and fill the truck up full.This was all the smaller stuff , like branches that would not need to be busted and then I moved it up to the little woodshed I had fixed to keep this out of the weather and give it a chance to dry out some? It took about an hour to unload and stack it in there and then I moved a small load of small stuff up to the house that I can burn through the day time as it will burn very fast.

I next walked up to the chicken building where Crystal had parked her truck last night when she had carried some plywood home for me and we were both too tired to unload it last night. I want to build  a small coop so I can lock the Brahmas up in at night to keep them safe from the coons at night.

I looked at that plywood sticking UP in the air above the tailgate and pondered how in the world could I unload it???? She had told the boy not to put it in over the sides because she did not want her truck scratched. It was taller than I am so I could not reach it from the back??? So, I looked all over and found a board that I could stick up under the plywood sticking out and then I eased the tailgate open. So far- so good. My next move was to ease the board at the ground and let the plywood settle to the bed of the truck. It did good until the last 3 feet when the board got away from me and went flying but the plywood still hit the bed with a bang and I dodged the board as it went flying! ~still smiling~

I would drag them off of the truck one at at time and roll them over a barrel to all on their sides and then drag them to a post where I could lean them upright. They about beat me to death. This getting older and more "puny" is the pits. There was a small shed in this lot that I want for these chickens and it was falling down , so I went to tearing it down for the lumber inside of it. It took a lot of banging and dodging as I struggled to get the roof off since it was twisted up on itself from a big wind lately. I wanted it in tact so I can use it on the new roof for the new coop. Finally I had it all disassembled . I was getting ready to start banging apart the one piece of the little wall which I had used a big pallet board for years ago and I studied the boards on it -only to notice that each small board had 6 nails in it. I knew I would shatter then if I tried to take them off so I decided I would just leave them intact and attempt to use that for my main floor-thus saving me a ton of work.

The weather was just so darn nice and my hands were not freezing due to the mild temperatures and i was so grateful .. I only wish that dark did not have to come so soon. If only I could have had a few more hours???????????? Wish, wish, wish.

But dark was upon me and I locked up the chickens and headed to the house and carried in wood and took a shower and fixed me and Crystal some supper. We were both starved and ate like little pigs... Thank you Lord for providing for us.

She left and I went to work sewing a few more Christmas presents and now it is bed time . I did make a few of the crocheted kitchen towels above. Everyone seems to enjoy them as everyone who cooks needs a towel sooner of later. I love to make gifts that are useful....

No comments:

Post a Comment