Thursday, November 30, 2017

Beautiful weather -new project

 How can you do 3 things at one time? Well, I am discovering it is very hard to pull off.  We are having an unusually warm spell of weather so I am taking advantage of it to work on a little chicken coop for the new Brahmas that I traded for. Of course it ended up being two roosters and one little hen -instead of the two hens and one rooster I had hoped for . They are one of the largest of the breeds of chickens but also known for their gentle natures -EVEN - the roosters , and after my experience this past summer with a concussion from a rooster I am really hoping this is true.


Now we all know I am NOT a carpenter , so I am really struggling with the assembly. It is 8 x 4 and I am using mostly reclaimed supplies except for the plywood and that cost me 138.00, which was my Christmas money. I had trouble from the get-go even placing it because Crystal did not want it close to her drive way because of maybe sliding into it in bad weather, but my lot is small and it had to fit in there somewhere? Next I carried 6 cinder blocks down to place it on and tried to level them up as best I could but was working on some big tree roots. Then I had an old pallet that I had tore out of a shed that fell down and I drug it over and placed on top of the blocks. It was heavy and gave me a fit-but it was too short so I had to add 2 1/2 feet more onto it.

I found two more pallets and placed them on each side . They were also old and you could not drive a nail into the oak boards so I tried drilling the holes first and snapped my two drill bits, burnt my finger on one when it snapped in the wood-ouch. (dumb thing - or maybe dumb me- smile)

Once I got them attached they wanted to LEAN and that is why I placed the two pieces to help support them to keep them upright. I will eventually place slates of some kind on them to turn them into a ladder to get up to a nest box.

Crystal had picked up that glass panel and I had told her I could not use it because it was too heavy for me to lift-but I finally got smart . It took me quiet a bit of heaving and hoeing and struggling and I even dropped it once and thought I had broken it -but once I got it up at the wall I could not lift it ???? So I slide it out and built a little edge that I could Lay it over on and then lift it up in place! Wow! The things we can accomplish once we set our minds to it?? Now the little coop will have plenty of light and no raccoon will be able to get through there.


 This is the front side of it , so yes I have a long way to go. Roof f, sides , doors, nest box and praying that I can complete this before the weather changes. My poor ole brain keeps shutting down on me as I really do not have the knowledge needed to do this and of course supplies.  I was so tired when darkness fell and I had to get in my wood and lock up all the chickens that I thought I would just fall over from exhaustion.





This was my nosy Speckled Sussex who was supervising next door. She is a real boss!



 Of course Indy was one of my favorite consultants! After 9 months we are a great team and I love him dearly. No more "bait-dog" days for him , I pray.( Those dark spots on his ears are actually scares and missing parts to his ears . ) I hope I get to stay around long enough to take care of all of my lovely charges that I love so much. What a lovely day and then I came in and did the exercises that my physical therapist has taught me for back problems and it helps SO Very much so we can continue on in our adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment