Thursday, December 28, 2017

Whew???????????????????????????

 I have worked my little "buns" off today and I am POOPED. We are having terrible cold weather and of course everything outdoors is frozen and it is hard to keep the chickens with water. I fix them hot drinks for breakfast and they really appreciate that.

Crystal was home today and she moved the wood truck to the house for me because we had a small load of kindlin on it that I needed to cut down to size. I had gone in the house and changed my shoes because my feet were frozen and my gloves too.I worked for a couple hours doing that and carrying it in place until I had the truck unloaded.

Then Crystal brought a truck load of monster wood up to the wood buster and we spent the rest of the afternoon busting these all up. So, for now we do have wood. Yea. I was frozen by the time we were finished and it was getting dark so I ran around dumping out most of the ice that was in all the birds water dishes and locking them up for the night. I Hate to see them out in the cold although they do not seem to mind at all. I still miss my big outdoor woodstove that we had when DH was alive and I had all my birds in a heated building and did not worry about them. As long as I was warm - they were warm.... Not so now , since that wood stove cracked open and I went back to my original woodstove we started using in 1975. I keep having trouble getting it to put out a lot of heat for some reason???? But it certainly does help with that propane bill -that heat I tried the year that DH passed and it cost between 600.00 and 700.00 a month for that  and I did not have that kind of money????  I don't know how people afford heat these days?????

This is my "not so pretty sewing project" but very Helpful project of tonight. At my back door is a glass door and of course it leaks air like a sifter.  With these below freezing temperatures and high winds we have been having it has been a nightmare, since this is in the kitchen.

I Love the light -that is why I chose the glass door. So I bought a clear vinyl shower curtain and then sewed a piece of fabric across the bottom of it as it was not long enough for the door. BUT, the fabric was TOO THIN and the air just poured through it . So, yesterday I had killed one of my outdoor jackets. I mean wore it slam out -so tonight I laid it in the floor and cut a level piece all the way across front and back and then I sewed it to the back of the sheet fabric and low and behold all that nice quilted piece of fabric has stopped the wind from flying through! YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!! Might be really ugly from the outside as you can see all my rips and tears in the jacket but if it helps keep my frozen feet alive - I am happy with it -as nobody else will see it , except for Crystal and the pups and kitties. This freezing stuff is MISERABLE!!!!!!!!!!!! So, you have to fight Cold with ????? What ever you have available , Right????????????? LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment