Sunday, January 13, 2019

Jan. 13, 2019


We had a forecast of a winter storm but instead of dumping snow we have received Ice!  I waited a while to go out this morning until I realized that the temperatures were not going to warm up enough to get rid of the ice. So I carefully inched my way up the hill , hanging onto trees and branches of anything I could get my hands on.

I knew I could not get around to each of the cages or to feed the donkey without some kind of help and I did not want any broken bones. I Knew that a friend had bought me some kind of ice support system a few years back and I had looked for it last month in the building but could not find it. I knew I had to find it so I started pulling everything off the shelve in the building and Bingo I lucked up and found it. The reason I had not been able to see it was because the mice had eaten the box up that contained it and buried it in the rubble. I pulled it out and thought  O Gosh, no directions now , how do I use this creation?

Finally I figured out to stretch it out like a spider webb and slide it over my shoe like a sock, leaving this wire form under my sole. I eased out on the ice and I could walk ! I was thrilled to death . I carefully eased around the main building feeding and watering all the separate kennels and coops and finally eased down the longer , steeper hill to where the donkey was waiting for me in the falling down barn. He was glad to get his pellets and a bat of hay . I think he even knew it was dangerous to get out on that slick stuff and risk breaking a leg.

I was happy to make it back to the house and fix eggs and tators and biscuits and gravy to feed the kids. Got all of that cleaned up and went to work on this pair of blanket booties. I had messed up the correct size I was aiming for and had my best friend try them on for me to confirm it-so I readjusted my stitches and I am Hoping I have them correct to fit a size 10.  I will hopefully get to see her Tuesday when she takes me to the eye doctor and I will ask her to try this  new pair on again to see if I have pulled it off???

The ice is still here but I used the "magic ice socks" to get around and gather up the few eggs so they would not freeze. My neck and shoulder and back are giving me fits because I have not stretched much as I crocheted my day away except when I made a hamburger and potatoe and cheese one pot dish for the kids while I had a single serving pizza and popcorn.


2 comments:

  1. My goodness it does sound so very dangerous, take care won't you? As a child in the Uk in the 1960s we'd wear a pair of Dad's old socks over our shoes to prevent slips would you believe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy sounds like you need to be very careful,these ice socks sound amazing,i am also your newest follower ,hope you will visit and follow me too.I love the blanket booties the wool is a beautiful colour xx

    ReplyDelete