Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Another Gift

Today is a nice rainy day but my little dog Cocoa is not feeling good. She has had the "doggie-flu" for the past two weeks and been on meds but she refused to eat or take her meds this morning. I told her that would mean another trip to see the doc if she could not eat.

Since it was calling for rain I trotted outdoors to do all the outdoor chores and went Just in time for the rain. But the temperatures are warm and the rain was light so it was not a bad thing at all. As I went from place to place I called constantly for Cowboy, my missing kitty.

I had to take a cup full of corn to the garden to the poor turkey who is confused and sitting??? (She thinks it is Spring and I wish it was?) While I was there I noticed that dumb weed I have been fighting (in the Winter-time here????) was sneaking around my strawberry plants again-so - NO YOU DON'T - BE GONE BAD WEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Hack, hack!

Then back up the hill to take care of the chickens in the building(where the predators can not get to them) Then as I came in the door way - LOW and BEHOLD - there sat Cowboy -big as Butch like he owed the place. I Had to do a double take and look twice because I REALLY thought he was dead somewhere. I snatched him up and carried him to the house and put him in a carrying cage while I finished my chores. I did not want to get so excited that I would plum forget to feed the last few.

Then a quick shower and loaded Cowboy in the car . I could smell an odor from that ear and I was so grateful to have him contained. Then back in the house and grabbed a dozen eggs for the vet and loaded Cocoa up in a little carrying cage too. She got the front passenger seat of course , although she was not impressed.

I always pray for help driving with my poor eyes . The sky was gray and the rain was light and there was very little traffic. Big advantage to living in a rural area. Cocoa was running a fever so a shot and new pills were in effect for her. Then it was Cowboy's turn- I was afraid how he would act because he goes wild when I try to restrain him at home . But in a strange place and strange people -he acted like a gentleman for the assistant. I was So grateful. So he got a shot and a liquid med that I can HOPEFULLY poke in his mouth. We will see?? He is definitely being locked up in the bedroom so I can keep up with him. Oooooops - I forgot a litter-box- Better do that before I forget and regret it.

Ok, that is accomplished and he is not too happy-but that is life. For my supper I have made a Sweet and Spicy Cauliflower Curry. I did not think I liked curry but cauliflower is so good for you I just decided to try it and it is good. Here is the recipe :

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon sweet curry powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 small onion - diced
1/2 of a large red bell pepper - diced
2 Garlic cloves -diced
1 teaspoon red  pepper flakes
1 Head cauliflower - finely chopped
1 pack tofu
1 can organic coconut milk
1/4 Cup nutritional yeast
3 Tablespoons maple syrup
Salt and Pepper to taste
Chives to garnish

1. In pan over medium heat -heat olive oil, cumin, curry powder and turmeric until sizzles

2. Add onions and allow to cook 3 minutes.

3. Add red bell pepper , garlic and pepper flakes. Sauté

2 minutes . Add cauliflower . Stir and cover pan and cook 8 minutes.

4. Press water out of tofu and cut into cubes. Add tofu and coconut milk and nutritional yeast and maple syrup and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 10 minutes.

I had to "fudge" a little tonight as I do not have the tofu and the canned coconut milk was too expensive so I substituted canned evaporated milk.

The big day is almost here so I completed this crochet towel holder for my neighbor. I normally do her a crocheted towel for her with the towel cut in half and the crochet topper on top of it that you hang. They are pretty but I get so mad at the commercial towels for just pushing the water over your counter top instead of soaking it up and preventing a bigger mess. Well, I Finally found a towel that does that. It is  just a plain white cloth like the old time baby diapers used to be. So I wanted a simple crochet towel holder now to just run the cloth through and this is what I came up with. I found the idea on Facebook and changed it out just a tad and now I am happy with it and think it will do a good job. I quickly wrapped it and the towel together . I had already wrapped her crocheted ruffled scarf and a pretty garden stake for her flowers. I just cannot come up with a man's gift - I keep wondering If it is because I am not a man ???? But, I did find a cute grill lighter that looks like a big wrench , since he is a car mechanic, plus a flashlight that looks like a bullet . Something that they can get some use out of . I hurried it down the road before they got home from work and then scurried my little "elf" self back to my little burrow. lol

So now I hope , all of my "friends" gifts are made and delivered and that just leaves the kids and grandkids and great-grandkids. Whew! Almost over and take a big sign of relief and then start new projects for the next Christmas. If I did not work on them all year long - I would never get it all pulled off and people are so important to me - to let them know that they are special and thought of . The gifts are not big because there is no way I could afford big gifts for big numbers , but they come from my heart and wish I could do more.

Plus, it helps keep my brain working good-always searching and trying to understand ideas? That is why I am trying to hard to defeat this macular degeneration - losing our freedom and the ability to create -well, it would be heart-breaking.

I hope each of you are in a good place with your holiday.
hugs to  all - linda

No comments:

Post a Comment